Tuesday, January 27, 2009

How I lost everything in Prague

Most of you know that I am backpacking through Europe. I am writing this note to say that the only thing i know for certain is that planning only helps in as far as it gets you headed in a general direction; past that you are never gauranteed that you will get a train going exactly where you want to go when you want to go there.

Colin and I have split up, he went to Berlin and I came to Prague to meet up with my mom who is here on business. I hope Colin is faring better than I. Since my arrival in Prague I have experienced the luxurious side of Europe by eating extravagant dinners on someone else's tab, and listening to live jazz on boat tours up and down the river. Also, since I have been in Prague I have managed to lose my camera bag that had all footage up to this point, my video camera itself, my digital camera, and my passport. I would give it all up just for the video that i have taken. Colin, I am sorry. I am also sorry that you have to find this out via facebook. It would be a lie to say that I have not been bummed out about my loss, however, I refuse to let it ruin my trip. I remind myself that there are much bigger things going on in the world that carry considerable significance well above and beyond the misfortunes of a person "male, middle-class, and white" who lost his camera while backpacking around europe.

That said, events such as these are going to be hilarious, eventually. They also will be what makes this trip amusing to talk about. Sure, there will be the sites that everyone who comes over here is able to view, but few will have sketchy hostels that they were lucky to stumble upon in Paris at 1:30 a.m. because they had nowhere else to stay, or birds crapping on their heads in the Louvre courtyard and not having a hostel where they could go back and shower thus resorting to using the fountain at the louvre to clean themselves off, or even misplacing all of their video footage and passports.

These will be the stories that are fun to tell and so I am not sorry they happen, just disappointed for the moment. I hope this note finds you well and that your lives are as eventful (whatever that may mean) where you are as mine is here.Peace be with you and stories to come,Chadwick

p.s. I purchased the video camera that i lost just prior to leaving for this trip. As irony would have it, I lost my camera yesterday and my credit card statement with my camera on it came due today. What that means is: i paid for a camera today that i lost yesterday. Ironic? I think so.

p.s. Colin just reminded me that on the video I made the prediction that one of us (colin or I) would lose something of value on the trip. That video documentation is on the very video camera that i lost. also ironic.

No comments:

Post a Comment